Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Quake

Lately the Bicol Region has been experiencing earthquakes, the first one ranging intensity 5. Lat night, however is the biggest rumble i have felt.

Five quakes in a row! the first one really hit me hard that my heart was pounding madly. Adrenaline rushed through me that my sibliing got irritated with me panicking. they were calm indeed. But as the night went by, with after shocks coming in (five quakes to be exact), I got curious as to why this was happening.

The first time we felt the quake, people have related this to the Mayon volcano, as steamy smokes came again, stating of it's eruption. But NO! it wasn't about the eruption that the earth got it's groove back. News, three nights ago, states that bicol earthquakes were not subject to the mayon's eruption.

There are two reasons i know of that causes earthquakes--the volcano eruption and the tectonic plates. Since it was declared that the quakes should not be linked to any volcanic eruption then the only reason i can think of is the movement of the plates....next question, however is how will long will this last?

i must admit, after the 1990 earthquakes (I was seven at that time) i really can't help but be very doubtful of Mother nature's sudden movements.....

i wish this would end....

No comments: