Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Just Passing By....

Last week, I can't help but concentrate on the television as I saw a familiar face than the rest of those who are also in the program. As much as all of them are familiar--he seemed more for me....afterall, he used to be just passing by our classroom....

I remember the first time Sen. Chiz Escudero, who was then the congressman of our district, passed by our classroom on his way to attend his class where he was going to teach. I was in first year college and was then getting used to seing politicians come in our school either to attend an event held at the auditorium or to be a guest at a show in our television station (yes, our school have a TV Station). But to be a teacher was something else.

The first time Escudero passed by was very memorable. Saturdays was our drawing class (technical drawing), meaning doing plates in front of your intructor requires more concentration than ever. The whole classroom was filled with silence as everyone concentrated over their handling of the techpens and rulers. I could swear most of us were even holding our breaths whenever we were getting our techpens touch the tracing paper, praying that it wont blot. The silence which we were holding onto came to a shattering conclusion as a van parked a few paces in front of our room.

Heads turned toward the direction of the van which revealed the presence of Escudero as he came out. Knowing that he was taken as an instructor of the Law Department, though we were somehow starstruck by his presence, we returned our gaze to the plates we were doing and began holding our breaths again. I was about to put ink on the plate when an excited voice came saying "UY! Si Escudero!"...The rest was history as the whole class went laughing at our classmate's gesture, though I think it was because some of them got suprised to have their work blotted. I immediately looked out the windows and saw a surprised Escudero with one of the guys he was with holding his laughter....

Saturday drawing classes became more fun since then, except for one who I think was annoyed with the boys reminding of her cry, this time giving it a funny twist by teasing her with one of escudero's bodyguards. hehehe....

It's been years since I last saw Chiz Escudero. Now I'm a graduate and him a senator. The closest encounter I can presently get is watching him on television. He is still just like the man whom even with strong aura, shows humility even with simple actions like walking down the corridors to nodding after a greeting.

Escudero now sits in the senate, and I can't help but brag how he once graced the school I attended to, though I was but a kid in a class where he used to pass by....

No comments: