Thursday, November 29, 2007

Tension in Makati

MAKATI--It was around pass twelve noon when news came about Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV together with Brigadier Gen. Danilo Lim, walked out of the Makati City court room to call the Filipino people to withdraw support from the present administration.

My mom and Tita Menen were presently watching Game Ka Na Ba? on television when the news came, suddenly cutting off the said show. I was in my room doing some stretching, trying to kill the chill I was feeling from the coldness the weather brought in earlier. Thinking that the flash report may be regards to the weather condition (after Mina and the comeback of Lando, and of course the seen low pressure), I went out to see.

It was indeed a shock to see Sen. Trillianes, together with Magdalo soldiers, walking on the streets of Makati, rather than a weather forecast, in the news.

We were about to take lunch as well, but instead of me, enjoying the adobo my mom cooked, I ended eating less and feeling all heated with anticipation with the news, which seems to be taking long for a flash report.

After lunch and washing the dishes, I immediately entered my room to do some typing, but with my grandmother going back to her bed, leaving the television on while my mom was then taking a bath, I went to the living room to turn off the television--but I ended up watching instead. So I was glued to the television, after I saw that Sen. Trillianes, and the rest of the Magdalo were in the Manila Peninsula. They have taken over the place....

It was further shocking for me to see what was going on at Makati. People staying at the Pen were already checking out, while the lobby, especially the second floor, where Trillianes stayed, was filled with reporters. It was reported that the police were giving Trillianes and Lim 'till three in the afternoon to surrender or they will use force on him.

As I was watching this, I can't help but have unsettling feeling towards this issue: should I be disappointed or somewhat moved by what they were doing. But as my mom went to the grocery and with nothing but people coming asked to go out of the pen, I decided to take a bath, feeling rediculous in thinking what my judgement should be.

After the very cold bath which didn't last long than usual, I was at the television again--this time the civilians (mostly media), were locked inside. Only a few had a chance to go out at the employees entrance of the Pen. They weren't allowed by the Magdalo to go out at the main entrance after the armed forces outside the pen gave a warning shot. This was to secure the civilians of have any casualties in their group. All couped up, they were placed in a secured place were they were asked to just lay there--protected from any stray bullet from outside.
With this scenario, I can't help but pity, and at the same time admire, the media men who still, even with the threat of danger, try to cover the story. There, as they were grouped, curled on the floor, tear gas suddenly filled the place. Luckily they were nearby the comfort rooms and immediately washed wit eyes with water then decided to get a moving to another location.
I can hear the systems engineer of GMA--Allan Guttierez, as he called for a certain "Phillip" to move. Later on he reported that they were in the basement and that the effects of tear gas was really taking more effects on their senses, especially their eyes....
It wasn't long 'till the announcement of Trillianes' surrender due to the civilians inside. The military were already shooting at the building and barraging at the front entrance. And with the tear gas filling the place, putting more devastation on the people there, to surrender was the only option left--after all, he's a senator and it is indeed right to place the safety of the people he pledged service, first.
At that time, I began to feel relief with the senator's decision. The media trapped inside has faced enough trouble alright. But it is their job and for that I admire them.... But what's this?
After Trillianes and Lim were arrested together with other personalities who were with them in the hotel, one of them Former Vice President Teofisto Guingona (and I think I saw the "running priest"), I can't believe the details aired on television about media people being cuffed and placed on a bus--these were the media who were left trapped inside in the Pen. OMG!
Media arrested?
In their explanation, administration officials says that they really weren't arrested, but for the sake of ensuring that all the Magdalos are caught, thinking that they may be disguised as media men, they were to taken to be interrogated.
Then why the confiscation of their belongings? and why the handcuffs?
This was the time when I certainly believe that everything happens for a reason--and what happen to the Pen happened for the reason of showing the people something that is very unreasonable at all--unreasonable action which can cause people to have a reasonable reaction....a violent reasonable reaction....
If they were just to interrogate the media, why cuff them? why point guns at them? why confiscate their equipment? why not check their IDs to be sure? why oh why have they done this. That is truly not good at all....
They could just have interrogated them at the Pen. And besides, media men can easily be verified because of their IDs. There respective offices can be checked as well. They could all just be gathered in a room at the pen where they can sit and relax from the tension...not add another....
And why the curfew? I don't know if I can accept their reason....I smell something fishy....
Media men, at the time when the forces of the administration, tries to break in the pen, are civilians. They are not uniformed men who can shoot back. Yes, they were asked to go out, and they were, but thanks to that "warning shot" they never got out. hala!!!!
I don't know what the officers were thinking that time...but I do know one thing though, this is the day when I saw rules broken by those who tries to prove it's powers and those who claim it's powers....
It seems that what I thought to be a suicidal attempt (uncertain and a rash) by Trillianes earlier, can be of something useful to trigger a certain spirit in me....something that Filipinos have shown through history....
This is one night where I saw the media whether kapuso or kapamilya, foreign or local, unite for a something more than just a coverage of the call for pagbabago (change)....
For this was a night when I saw what the people needed to see....

_____________________________________________

Related Articles:

Standoff in Makati (A Photo Essay)
Makati Standoff (from inquirer.net)

No comments: