Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Wasted Relief.....

Such was the horror that struck Albay when super typhoon Reming went to pay a visit there.
It's been a year since Reming caused such devastation which led to thousands of people dead and left homeless. Schools and gymnasiums, then weren't even enough to shelter the inflicted folks of the storms. Much more was the food and clean water. Roads were closed and other goods were scarce.
My brother at that time was in Tabaco, Albay. And with all roads, out of Tabaco, closed, my brother, together with some friends who also live in Sorsogon, took the long trek home by foot, where they faced the the aftermath-horror of the mud flow tragedy. Lucky for them my dad and my uncle found a way to enter Legazpi.
I was here in Manila with my mom when it all happened. And though I'm from Sorsogon, I felt life sucked out of me as I saw the distressful state of the people there. The loss, the cold nights and hunger.....
A year after the agony.... A year after the whole nation gathered to place comfort..... a year since then, I faced the television to discover such disappointment......
Earlier this evening, I was about to make myself a cup of coffee (yes, coffee at night--I'm like that since college), when the flash report showed which got me and my mom's blood boiling. At the mention of Daraga, Albay, and the issue there, I felt like crying--with disappointment and anger. Such a waste--after discovering the piled packages of relief goods stored from last relief operation, which are now useless.
WASTED!
There boxes of canned goods and sacks of rice. Packages of blankets and other stuff that could have been used. But the food, alone, left there in that storage to rot instead of feeding the hungry, was a huge waste. Discovering such a pile to have expired last July, was really the biggest disappointment. After all, there are still many people needing those things, especially those times, when food was the number one priority.
If they were planning to store they should have checked the expiry dates. Then again, why were they storing large amounts of goods if there were still plenty to feed? Wasted....truly WASTED!
Let this be a lesson.....

No comments: