Saturday, December 15, 2007

Simbang Gabi....

December 15, 2007--Instead of tomorrow early morn, Misa de Gallo (Rooster's mass), was held earlier, this night, in our local parish, for the folks of our subdivision who wishes to attend and complete the nine day mass without having to wake early morn.
The church was full of chirping of his and hellos from the good people of our community as we waited for the priest who came just in time. Aaahhhh! it was indeed a good beginning for us.
Misa de Gallo, or most popularly known in Filipino as Simbang Gabi (Night mass), is a nine day novena mass in preparation for Christmas. This is a very important tradition as it is an act of showing devotion to one's faith and the high anticipation to the Nativity of Christ. Usually it starts at the sixteenth of December 'till the twenty-fourth or Bisperas ng Pasko (Christmas Eve), starting as early as four in the morning. . But besides passion behind the mass, there is also a traditional Filipino belief that completing the mass may mean God granting a faithful's favor or wish.
A faithful's wish....
I have had my part in wishing and completing the mass. So far there were wished that were granted and those not. This time, though I am very much aware that I won't be able to complete it--to give way to my mom and dad who wishes to attend the mass as while yours truly will be taking with them in watching over my grandma--I still kept hold of my faith in God upon granting my wish (an unselfish wish that right now I cannot tell).
Misa de gallo gave a good start earlier as we were led by a priest from Bangladesh. I must admit, though at first, I was a bit worried whether I'll have a difficult time in understanding what he spoke (due to his accent), I found his homily's message clear....
It was indeed very enlightening to listen to his homily. Behind the wandering and chattering of children at the back, where I am seated, I find myself awake and zealously listening to his words. It was indeed, I must admit, one of the best Simbang gabi that I attended.
He started off the homily with a little trivia of where the Misa de gallo started--that it dated back during the Spanish era. Then he mentioned the three decades of the filipinos' state during those times when this nation was under the Spaniards rule. It was then that he had connected this to the Exodus where us, God's children, has seen the light as we break free from all that has oppressed us. That was indeed a reminder of appreciating a speck of light in the dark where we truly see its beauty.
The message of the homily? Attending mass isn't just about asking for favors, but actually reflecting and awaiting Jesus Christ's coming. In the end, as we break free, we must always keep hold of faith and give thanks to the Lord for every bit of blessing he has given, no matter the quantity.
Tomorrow will be my parents' turn to attend. As I type this, I bear in mind the faith I have so pledge my confidence to--the faith in God that he'll be answering this prayer of mine. And this faith I offer to him in thanks for all the kindness he has given me and my family--thanking him for giving me blessings enough for me to share....
______________________________________________
Reference:

No comments: