Thursday, December 20, 2007

When we are meek....

Just when I thought they were there for the chats.

The fifth night of Simbang Gabi started with the priest running late again (since he had also led a mass at another parish). And before all the prayers and the songs began that night, the chapel was filled with buzzings of adults chatting and kids running around, if not, making tantrums. There were few, I must say, whom I saw, whether kneeled or just sitting, who are praying while waiting.

A fast forward to the mass--with some kids still having fun, if not, sleeping, while mass was going on, I somehow felt a certain cheer within me. Something that night tells me that it was a night where I'd see something that should be seen from church goers--and it took me to sit back and wait while the communion was going on.

From the playing of kids to the chatting of adults, to certain teenage sweethearts and buddies fooling around (sorry!), The communion seem to have captured my attention unlike the previous nights. hhhmmm...maybe it's my view from where I sat.

Though the church was still jammed pack, it seem that that night there were only small numbers. Still, the huge number of those taking the communion was still undeniable. It was then that I saw that these people were there not just to hang out or make the church as their meeting place for date (or stop overs), there was also a lot of faith.

I don't know whether it was the homily that made that night's misa extra special. Definitely there were more faith intact that night, not that I'm saying that the previous nights never had. It just that the misa seemed more solemn that the previous ones.

It was also then that I saw the number of people falling in line to take Christ's body, or should I say "noticed". I've been there almost every night yet never realize the number of takers (maybe it's really the view where I sat).

Definitely, in the middle of the itchy nose and cold atmosphere, I saw that when it comes to worshiping God, there is always unity and eagerness to be the best.

As they said in the homily--nothing is impossible with the Lord....

No comments: